Index of crowdfunded animation

Discuss anime, non-Japanese animation, indie animation, animators, or just introduce yourself

Index of crowdfunded animation

Postby Leedar » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:50 am

Is there a comprehensive list of crowdfunded animation somewhere? I was one of the backers of Kick-Heart because I thought it might motivate others to give it a shot, but despite it being relatively uninfluential in this regard there do appear to be other projects being funded successfully. I'm interested to see what else is out there. I'm sure there is some way to find stuff on each individual service (kickstarter, indiegogo, etc.) but there are some that I'm not familiar with, and it's pretty laborious. :whistle:

Unknown/various years

(Funded ☑, Fundraising ☐, Unsuccessful ☒; years are when the fundraising has closed)

I'll add more that anyone can provide. No restriction of medium or origin, but has to have raised the equivalent of US$ 10 000, to stop the list becoming huge. Includes fundraising for wide distribution instead of production (pressing DVDs, subbing/dubbing, etc.). Some people might think it morbid to list failed attempts, but I think it is best to be able to learn from them rather than erase them from history.
Last edited by Leedar on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Sylvain Chomet wrote:[...] Saying 2D is dead is like saying that a car race is the future of the Tour de France.
Leedar

Re: Index of crowdfunded animation

Postby Greg W » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:33 pm

There's Mirai Mizue's Wonder 365 Days Animation project.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/40 ... on-project
Greg W

Postby AniFinder » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:07 pm

Here's one that went nowhere, a series called 9DKP:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/731983185/9dkp-anime-project?ref=live

Me thinks the reason it failed was not enough word-of-mouth/advertising from the original creators.
AniFinder

Postby m-O » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:37 pm

Nice idea! Only project that i can think of is 1000: The Animated Micro-series. Sadly, it didn't get funded.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... cro-series
m-O

Postby NAveryW » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:43 pm

Don't forget Anomalisa. That was an enormous success and even expanded to feature length.
NAveryW

Postby Leedar » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:26 pm

Thanks for the contributions so far. If this tiny sample size is anything to go by, starting your project title with a number is a bad idea. :think:
Sylvain Chomet wrote:[...] Saying 2D is dead is like saying that a car race is the future of the Tour de France.
Leedar

Postby H Park » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:48 am

Other than minimum $10,000 goal, I think it's better to organize the projects by year and crowd-funding sites. There are going to be more short animations year after year using crowd funding, so it's better to organize further before it goes unmanageable. For example:

Year: 2012
Site: Kickstarter
Anomalisa ☑
Cans Without Labels ☑
Kick-Heart ☑

Also people here should post more crowd-fund animation projects that are currently pitching.

Just to add to what Leedar said, I think we should discuss about what made certain project success or fail as case study. I've noticed several interesting and visually impressive projects that didn't make the goal. Despite quality of their ideas, designs, and skills, it seems like they didn't do something right to attract more attention. Is it because they're unknowns? Is it because their offering selection are mediocre? I'm not saying that there is the sure-fire way to have successful funding, but I think all aspiring animation artists should learn to make wise decisions on pitching their "wares" to public. Even independent animation is business too, in a small scale.
H Park

Postby Leedar » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:37 am

I did consider adding all manner of information, but it's best to keep it simple considering this is a forum thread and not a proper database. I suppose sectioning by year isn't too unruly, but I don't think the services used are so important to list here (and they are ever increasing in number, even if there are only a few mega popular ones). The main idea is to show how many people have managed to raise serious money for projects via crowdfunding, regardless of their ultimate cost or success.

If someone does want to make a formal database somewhere, by all means do so. Would also be interesting to see what sort of animation (medium, origin, etc.) use which services and how levels of success correlate over time, etc. (nerd stuff :geek:).

Edit: On further consideration, I do have a lot of time on my hands at the moment to whip up a mini website, with an actual DB backend, but I don't have any proper hosting.
Leedar

Postby H Park » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:39 pm

Free Wiki site might work for your index.
H Park

Postby pete » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:26 pm

I also remember this, browsing through Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/43 ... tings-to-l

This will be the world's first feature-length painted animation, brought to you by the Oscar winning studio - BreakThru Films.

What is truly groundbreaking about "Loving Vincent" is that every frame of the film is an oil painting on canvas, using the very same technique in which Vincent himself painted. And what makes it a great story to experience is the intriguing, tragic, and inspiring story of Vincent Van Gogh himself.

Our kickstarter campaign will allow us to train 40 painters who will then be able to work on the film, bringing the paintings and life of Vincent Van Gogh to swirling life on the big screen!
Leedar:
Ben works in mysterious ways
pete

Postby magnil » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:21 pm

magnil

Postby timdrage » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:34 am

Ralph Bakshi's "Last Days of Coney Island" funded 2013

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ra ... y-island-0
Tim Drage - Animator, Noisician
http://www.spiteyourface.com - animation
http://www.cementimental.com - noise
timdrage

Postby Greg W » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:17 pm

I've found out about another unsuccessful one while I was looking at the Steven Universe IMDb forum. Chloe and the Stars

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... tars/posts
Greg W

Postby Leedar » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:16 am

I think there is a bias in the current list as finding failed efforts is more tricky; e.g. kickstarter hides them from some kinds of search.
Leedar

Postby Pvrhye » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:08 am

It's nice to have this sort of stuff bubbling in the background to keep the genre alive, but I must admit that the stuff that gets me fired up is the big budget feature length stuff that doesn't get made much anymore. All that stuff from the 80's economic bubble was what got me into the genre, and I think a dearth of it is kind of what made me drift away.
Pvrhye

Next

Return to Main forum: Animation Discussion